The Tiger Years:

Lara's Chinese Odyssey: from Huaibei to Harbin, Harbin to Shenyang, Shenyang to HohHot, HohHot to the United States, the United States to Xi'an, and the adventures scattered in between...

Tuesday 5 January 2010

contract, process

So the past few weeks have been quite busy with plans on getting to China. I've had my physical, as I was getting my records from the various doctors I've seen over the years I realized that some of my records were well over ten years (my eyes, certain blood work tests, etc) and then there were certain tests that I needed to get done, for instance I don't know what my exact corrected vision is, since I've had the same perscription since my sophomore year in college? Making appointments and squeezing things in over time has been busy, and the time frame has been short, since a lot of this is dependant on geting my work permit.

I have also been talking to Tony, the Foreign director of the school I'm going to a lot, just to clear the air on what specifically I will be teaching, the hours I would be teaching, the textbook I would be using and my abilities or desires to stray from the text if I so choose, alternative media and so forth. We needed to address my living situation, my payment (how frequently, how much, how much I would be able to transfer a month into my U.S. savings account) and vacations, how I would be compensated for those, and the ever so much of health care (how I was insured, what benefits I got over there, doctor visits, ability to see specalists if I need too [GYN, orthopedic for my semi annual check for range of motion] optical, dental, etc. We had a contract drawn up, had the school verify the conditions, had our family lawyer veryfiy the conditions, signed it, scanned it and sent it back off. I am officially employed, it's just a matter of finalizing my visa and work permit. The center I will be going through is going to be booking my airline tickets.

I'm also meeting with a family friend who teaches english as a second language to immigrants in the area. I have been touching base with her and browsing some of her books in a hope to get some lesson planning done before I get over there. It doesn't seem like I will serve as an assistant at all, but will have some basic training when I get there. I will also have a translator for when I am out of the classroom, but for the most part I will be on my own. I have the contact information from an USA citizen that is currently teaching there.

I'm also hoping to plan a summer excursion in my 50 day vacation, whether it be to the Forbidden City, Gobe Desert, maybe I'd visit Maria in Sweeden, or Jen in India, or quite possibly an ornithological research, assuming that Bruce Beehler is going somewhere or knows of a CI project in the area. I'm hoping to do some good while there, since I've been out of college, I've seem to rack up more in the negative side than postive. Let's just hope this trip is as epic and worthwile as I am hoping. On the plus side, my mom and dad were possibly going to visit in the summer, my sister over the thanksgiving holiday, and if my brother goes to Russia to study abroad, it may look like I will get a trip into Russia or possibly Belarus, depending on when Brendan gets over, and where he wants to go. I'd be happy with either one really.

No comments:

Post a Comment